Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Warning to Mothers

I learned a valuable lesson with Kaitlyn and her tooth.
That lesson being
Dad doesn't have a clue in an emergency!
Now don't get me wrong, Monte did better than I ever would have when it came to the blood
and screaming that came with Kaitlyn accidentally popping out one of her permanent
teeth. But he didn't have a clue as to what dentist she sees. He calls me and tells me
in a rush that he is headed to the dentist office and hangs up. All of a sudden
I start to think does he even know Kaitlyn's dentist, he has never been there, he has paid their
bills but we are in crisis mode--does he know?
No, he does not!
He took her to Britton's dentist, who in complete confusion is telling my husband he has
no idea who this little girl is, as he is shoving her tooth back in her mouth. Monte
informs him that of course he is her dentist his card is on our calender. Kudos to Monte for noticing his card on the calendar-- but that is for Britton.
Kaitlyn and Chandler go to a pediatric dentist- who by the way knows a lot about children popping out their front teeth!
But that is okay he did good, but as I walk into the dentist
office I hear the dentist say, "I forgot to ask you is she allergic to latex?"
Monte answers, "No." As I answer, "Yes she is allergic please change gloves!!"
So this is not a blame Monte day. When the kids were younger and fewer
and work was less demanding he played a bigger role, but now his role doesn't usually include dentist visits, doctor visits, eye appointments, etc. That is my job and I love doing it (well not the shots and screaming, "Mommy no it hurts!"- but you understand).
Anyway I got to thinking the only reason Monte would have to take the kids to one of these places is if I am sick, dead or an emergency. All of which he won't be in his right mind. So I am making an emergency list with important doctor information, allergies (Connor has to be careful with penicillin- would he think of that in an emergency with his baby!), numbers of friends who can help, that kind of thing.
So what do you use? What numbers are important to you? Any suggestions? Was anyone like me and had never thought about your husband needing a dentist in under an hours time?
That's my thought of the day!

6 comments:

Jody said...

Kim-I think this is a really great idea. I actually have all this information on a spreadsheet saved on our computer. I then printed one copy to put in our file cabinet and one copy in each of the cars (we just keep them in the trunk). I also gave a copy to my mom since she is the one that watches Braxton all day while I am at work. I also saved it to a jump drive so that we can always grab that in an emergency. Everywhere you go has a computer anymore and they are more than accommodating when a family is in an emergency. I also included the poison control hotline and a list of our insurance providers and scanned in a copy of our cards so that they are always ready and available to whoever needs them in a crisis. You can never be too prepared.

Saralin said...

Great idea Kim! I should get something put together for our family. The only thing I could think to add would be a copy of everyones immunization forms.

Lara said...

Wow, I'd never even thought of it before, but I know that Glen would have no clue where their dentist is located and I'm not even sure he knows where their pediatrician is either. I totally need to make a list like that!

dede said...

we have no options - i HAVE to be there- they CAN'T have an emergency unless i am home - period.

we have lists - they have been on the side of the refrigerator for the last 8 years and Bill still doesn't know how to find my parents phone number, let alone a (gasp) doctor!

Charlene said...

I am surprised Monte hasn't put it on a spreadsheet yet? sounds like a great idea. Let see if I am organized enough to do something!!

Shiloh Thacher said...

What a great blog! That will teach me to make sure we are prepared in an emergency!