Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Holiday Traditions

When our older kids were younger we had an interesting family tradition.
Each year we would go and pick out a Christmas tree with the kids.
Before this Monte would go and pick up my dad's truck and meet us at the Christmas
tree lot. We would look through all the trees and pick one and watch Monte
load it into the truck.
This is where the tradition starts...
The kids and I would then go over to my parents house and have hot chocolate
and play with Mema and Papa.
While at home Monte could feel free to cuss and
scream all he wanted at the tree with no little ears in the way. Once he was
done yelling and screaming and telling the tree how stupid it is and it was standing
up strait with lights on he would call me at my moms and the kids and I would slowly
make our way home.
So that by the time we got there Monte was ready to be a
Christmas-happy-daddy and help the kids decorate.
(Beware there were a few bad years before
we created this wonderful, effective Christmas tradition)
So what are some of your fun traditions?

2 comments:

dede said...

my tradition is to put the tree up by myself while all the kids are at school (so the ornaments won't all be on the bottom of the tree) and then surprise them when they get home - I don't think that is going to happen this year - only a few more days of school and I am no where close to getting the tree up!!

robin said...

our tradition is a "string pull" on Christmas day. there are all kinds of prizes individually in bags with a string tied to the handle of the bag. some of the prizes are good (and some are goofy and some are things my dad needs for around the house so he trades for them later). everyone takes turns pulling a string to see what they get. it could be a food treat, money in an envelope or a household cleaner dad needs hahahha!! At the end of all the rounds (the number of rounds depends on how many things have been included in the string pull ... some items from prior years make their way back in) anyways at the end you can trade with others. Dad gets his cleaners and other things he wanted and my brother somehow ALWAYS pulls corncob holders every year. It's uncanny!!!