Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My Gardeners!

I am very lucky. My mother-in-law doesn't live to far away and she loves to garden. She knows so much about it and even enjoys pulling weeds!! ( Yeah for me!) Well the other thing she loves is teaching the kids about gardening. The above picture Sydney is helping to plant flowers in the front yard.
Kaitlyn, we have discovered, has the gardening knack just like her grandmother. She always walks around the house to check on the flowers and gets so excited when a new ones come to bloom. My mother-in-law use to tell me what needed to be done after a new plant is planted, now she calls and tells Kaitlyn and Kaitlyn sees to it that it gets done.

When Kaitlyn was 5 we were on a trip at a hotel and she started taking all the old heads off of a rose bush. A lady asked her not to do that and Kaitlyn answered her, "I am helping the rose. If you don't dead head it you can't get new and pretty roses!" Yes, she knows what she is talking about.

Britton is also learning so much. He has gotten to where grandma can tell him what and where to plant and walk away. Last summer he planted the most beautiful snap dragons. (those are his favorite)

What does this all mean to me? A beautiful yard and a lot less work. Thank you my little family of green thumbs!

5 comments:

Saralin said...

Your yard is looking beautiful. That is so nice of your mother in law to help out like that.

Charlene said...

Emma loves to help me with the flowers! I need your mother-n-law to come and help me out! Our family spent last weekend cleaning up our yard. That was so nice for me, since I am usually the only one that does it!

dede said...

I can't wait to benefit from your garden - how much longer till jalapeno jelly??? Way to go Illona and kids (and I am sure you do a little more than you let on Kim!)

Jodi said...

I don't want to hear about your personal gardner and you complain about my hard soil. LOL!!
Maybe Illoa will just train your kids to be my gardner!!!

Lara said...

I'm just a tad jealous after reading your post. Our yard is always is need of work with several large trees that seem to rain sticks every single day no matter what we do. Way to go on helping them to love it!