Friday, February 29, 2008

My Homeschooler

At the end of the school year last year Britton and I were talking and he asked if he could be homeschooled next year. We thought and prayed and even fasted if it was an okay decision to make. Then yesterday morning he was sitting on the couch watching Dora with Connor and Sydney and I realized what a great year it has been. It is like taking a vacation together.
We have discovered that Britton is a self starter and is doing awesome with his school work. But the greatest value is the time we have with him. I realize in a couple of years he isn't going to want to sit down and play a game with me, he isn't going to have as much time, but right now he does and I hope these memories stick with him always. As for Syd and Connor they will be 9 and 7 when Britton leaves on his mission. What a great experience they have had getting to know their big brother better.
Don't get me wrong there are days when I don't want someone in the house that answers back to me but overall it has been an awesome experience. I will always remember my year home with my son and the talks we have had. (Hopefully we will finish the year with him never beating me at Settlers!)

2 comments:

dede said...

I am glad you are able to have some mommy/son time - I hope none of my kids want to do that :0
Is Dora his spanish 101??

Lara said...

Hi Kim--
I don't know if you remember me. I was also in the 77th ward and then we were both pregnant working at the Bookstore together. I'm also friends of Denise and Charlene which is how I found your blog.
Anyway I think we're on the verge of homeschooling Spencer (same age as Britton) and wondered if you'd mind emailing me? I need inspiration!
Thanks

goolds@juno.com