Sunday, June 8, 2008

My Little Girl


I had a moment of pride today -please excuse me. (I have already been called a dork for taking this picture by the way- you know who you are!) I am very proud of my Sydney.



When Sydney was a year old we found out she wasn't hearing what was going on around her because of fluid in her ears. We got her tubes and she started changing and hearing what we were asking of her - but she didn't talk to us.



In the last two years Sydney has gone through quite a bit of speech therapy, trying to get her speech. Now don't get me wrong Sydney is the queen of letting you know what she wants or what she's thinking without ever opening her mouth. Her speech therapist was amazed at this as she would often hand over the reward to Sydney without Sydney having spoke like she was suppose to. We would often hear her therapist exclaim, "Give that back you didn't say what I wanted. I don't know why I gave that to you!"



Syd's speech has improved in the last year or so but she was diagnosed with "selected mutism" a fancy word for Syd only speaks when she wants to and to who she wants to. She is quite capable of going hours without saying a word if she is uncomfortable in the situation! She has done this many times!



But in the last few months she has improved so much. Her primary teacher informed me a couple of weeks ago, she had to tell Sydney to be quiet in class. She gave me a hug as tears formed in my eyes. Never before have I been happy to have a child told she needed to be quiet.



Today was another leap in Syd's development. She gave the scripture in Primary today!! She got up there and in a great big girl voice said the scripture. Way to go Syd. She is wonderful. I also wanted to say thanks to friends and primary teachers who know whats going on and always make a special effort to talk to her and not forget just because she is silent that she is not there!

5 comments:

Denise said...

Way to go Syd! That's just awesome.

Lara said...

What an awesome accomplishment for her! And just so you know--it's not uncommon for parents to sneak little pictures of their children giving talks in our primary. :)

Charlene said...

I am so happy that she is doing so well. I remember how worried you were about the surgery. Emma still refuses to say the prayer, give scripture, or talk in primary! She is soooo shy!

Saralin said...

Good job Syd. She is such a sweet little girl.

Jodi said...

Good job Syd. I am so sorry that I could not be there to see it.